The Malformed Stillborn Opinion Channel

Death to the living. Long life for the Killers.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Dirth of intelligible news

For the second day in a row, I've been basically abandoned on the floor at work. Which is fine really. Really, no I'm ok with it. I'm a little peeved.

I'm a total geek. I read Asimov's Foundation the other day, and it pissed me off. I think it gave me a headache. Asimov is incredibly smart. Read his glosses of Shakespeare if you have any doubt. But as a writer, he is nothing but artifice and empty suits, plot turns laid out like midwestern roads, all right angles at even intervals.

He parades characters and conflicts onto the stage, tidily wipes up t he action with a clever little pirouet, and moves on down the line. For someone who could recognize the brilliance of Fallstaff, Asimov has trouble writing characters with the depth of saturday morning cartoons.

Honestly. K. Dick kicks Asimov.

1 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny you should mention that. I read the first "Foundation" book when I was 14 and just the other day I was thinking about re-reading it. Now I'm not so sure...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home